Saturday, April 22, 2017

AWS elastic beanstalk, Node.js, Aurelia and ESNext

Long story short, I decided to write a web based password management app using the AWS elastic beanstalk stack. The motivation came from:

  • I  withdrew MiniBluebox, a simple password manager app I wrote, from the Apple App Store in 2016. Since then it became increasingly difficult to keep up with changes Apple introduced on their iCloud/IOS/OSX ecosystem. On some new iPhone models, iCloud synchronisation started to play up and fail. There are also rumours that in late 2017 Apple will drop support for 32-bit apps. Hence MiniBluebox app will simply disappear from all IOS devices with its data. I need a more reliable infrastructure to serve my apps. 
  • I would like to move away from Apple ecosystem and develop cloud based, service oriented web apps using Open Source technologies. This has many advantages:
    • Open source is cheaper
    • Open source is incredibly dynamic and fertile
    • Brand agnostic (web apps work on all platforms, desktop or mobile
    • Service oriented apps are extensible
  • Leverage my existing AWS knowledge I have been acquiring for over a year.
  • Learn about new technologies such as AWS elastic beanstalk, React.JS, and ESNext.
In this blog I will be writing more about my findings as I go along. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

iTerm2 - How to auto-close sessions and auto-exit when last one closed

 Problem There are two problems when you close sessions and windows in ITerm2. When you gracefully exit from ITerm2 sessions with a recommen...